.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, June 18

58 now assumed dead in Grenfell Tower fire

THE TRAGEDY WORSENSGrenfell Tower fire death toll rises as police reveal 58 people presumed dead – and criminal investigation WILL look at building refurb

Firefighters remove 16 bodies from disaster site as Scotland Yard says it will release photos and video from inside charred building tomorrow
By Neal Baker
17th June 2017, 5:00 pm
Updated: 18th June 2017, 5:21 am
The Sun (U.K.)

Scotland Yard will release video and pictures from inside the burned out West London building [June 18].

As many as 400 people were officially reported missing, with 342 people now accounted for as alive.

"That number 58 may change. I really hope it won't, but it may increase", Commander Stuart Cundy of the Metropolitan Police warned in a press conference this afternoon.

"There may have been other people there on the night that people were not aware".

In an appeal for information, he added: "If someone was in Grenfell Tower and they did not escape and have not make it know.

"I don’t care the reason why you haven’t told us so far. I want to know and we all want to know that you are safe and well."

Answering a question, he added that the refurbishment of the building which finished just weeks ago will form part of an ongoing criminal probe.

"The investigation will identify any criminal offence that has happened — It will be wide ranging", he added.

"It will look at the building and the refurbishment".

So far 16 bodies have been taken from the disaster site to a London mortuary.

Meanwhile, the first victim of the Grenfell Tower disaster has been formally identified as Mohammed al-Haj Ali.

Earlier, survivors visited Theresa May at Number 10 after she was criticised for her response to the disaster.

And protesters marched in Whitehall demanding answers amid accusations that the cheap cladding used to spruce up the look of the block may have acted as tinder for the raging flames.

Transport for London partly suspended The Hammersmith and City and Circle tube lines over fears that parts of the charred tower block — which had 120 flats over 24-storeys — could fall off.

[...]

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?