Translate

Wednesday, January 24

Bhar Do Jholi Meri vitamin for droopy spirits

Last year I featured the movie version (sung by Adnan Sami for Bajrangi Bhaijaan) but when I visited YouTube this morning I noticed some commenters politely asked that the poster (T Series) include a credit to the legendary Sabri Brothers, who composed the qawwali and first sang it. In the Sabri version the traditional slow prelude, which fidgety moderns have difficulty sitting through, might be a tad longer than the movie version but the Sabri Bothers get to rollicking soon enough. Here's both versions, to blow away the cobwebs of political squabbles and the daily grind of war news. 

By the way I think I mentioned last year that Adnan isn't a qawwali singer, but all agree he did a great job with "Bhar Do Jholi Meri."  A true singer, it's been said, can sing anything. That would certainly apply to Adnan Sami because it's no easy task to do justice to a qawwali.       




No comments: