.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, October 11

Breaking News: Bomb Attack on U.S. Convoy in Kabul UPDATED

UPDATE 10:35 PM EDT October 11
The convoy was British. See this AP report for latest published information on the attack.  Still unclear whether attack was a suicide bomb or IED.


Contradictory information being reported about the attack. Termed a suicide attack but US spokesperson says it was an IED.  If an IED had been laid, that could suggest Taliban had obtained prior knowledge of the convoy's route and schedule. However, the situation is still unclear. Another reports says the Taliban hadn't yet taken responsibility for the attack, but the NBC report says they have.   

OCT 11 2015, 2:24 AM EDT

Suicide Car Bomb Attack on Coalition Convoy in Kabul

NBC News

A suicide car bomb struck a convoy of coalition forces in the Afghan capital of Kabul Sunday, officials said.
Casualties were reported in the explosion, which rocked central Kabul at around 9:15 a.m. local time.
"A few civilians were injured, but we do not have any reports of any death," Afghan ministry of interior spokesperson Najib Danish said.
U.S.-led coalition forces spokesperson Col. Brian Tribus confirmed that coalition forces were the target of the explosion.
"A RS (Resolute Support) convoy was struck by an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) in Kabul this morning. No casualties reported so far and we are gathering more information at this time," Tribus said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
U.S. aircraft conducted air strikes to support Afghan forces in an offensive to retake the northern city of Kunduz from the Taliban this week.
The Taliban took control of Kunduz in a surprise attackon Sept. 28, and Afghan forces recaptured most of the city by Oct. 1, officials said.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?