Translate

Monday, July 13

How many more mass murders do CNN and Fox and their advertisers plan to instigate?

It looks to me as if Dylann Roof's shooting massacre at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church was modeled on the 2011 massacre carried out in Norway by Anders Behring Breivik.  The carnage was to direct public attention to his manifesto, published online. 

But it's doubtful this observation hasn't already been considered by the people who run CNN and Fox Cable. As I pointed out in a recent essay, Nonstop TV coverage driving public mass murders in America: An 8-point plan for halting the trend, it's well established that the fame provided by huge media coverage of public mass murders is driving the massacres.

So while CNN and Fox producers and their advertisers didn't force Dylann Roof to kill anyone, they put the gun in his hand.

The question is how long the American public will continue to put up with this behavior on the part of their national news outlets.  

Clearly the people who run the outlets don't have the ethics to rein in the behavior.  They offer only rationalizations.  It would be he same with companies that support the behavior by buying advertising time -- although oddly, I don't know of an instance where these advertisers have been challenged to explain their behavior, except on my blog.

But sooner or later, perhaps after one or two more massacres made into public entertainment by television news, the public will finally put two and two together and recoil.

As for me -- the only television I've watched during the past two years was the running of the Belmont Stakes, and that was only because I was cheering on American Pharoah. 

Otherwise, you couldn't pay me to watch television anymore, any kind of TV.  I could watch public television but it's a funny thing about habit -- once you stop doing something it's hard to return to it.  I was amazed at how much time I saved by cutting out TV, and how much better my mood became.  Not only my mood; my sleep habits and general health improved.  It was quite striking.
  
I do still occasionally quote reports from various TV news stations that pop up on Google News, but most of these are local stations and the vast majority of the reports relate to drought. 

In any case, I pick and choose very carefully which TV news stories I quote from on my blog, and I am loathe to quote CNN or Fox, no matter how interesting a report looks; I'll generally find a version of the report on another news outlet and publish that instead.

So I really can't say which American advertisers funded the hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of programming on CNN and Fox Cable about the massacre at Emanuel.  But I know from past viewing experience that the programming was nonstop, that it continued for days if not weeks, and that it went into the smallest details over and over and over and over and over.

I also know that this kind of coverage made Roof a legend -- enough of a legend to inspire the next mass murder.

I can't think of anything else at this time to add to the topic, except to wonder why no enterprising mass tort attorney hasn't thought to scare up a class action suit that would cost CNN and Fox hundreds of billions of dollars -- and shove the rest of the ghouls in the American mass media into line.  

By the way, Google News, I'm also talking to you.  

********


No comments: