Translate

Wednesday, December 21

"Curse this damn road. I'm not coming back."

He'll be back. He's a lorry (truck) driver, delivering between New Delhi and Leh, in India.  His route takes him along the Manali-Leh highway. I've never before seen a film about the road journey, which is probably the most consistently treacherous anywhere. Also the most beautiful -- otherworldly in parts.  Seeing something of the journey helps put things in perspective.  

Can't believe I made the journey once -- and that was before the Indian military widened and upgraded the road, which had been built only for single-file military jeep traffic.  You may trust I took a plane out of Leh when it was time to leave.  Once by road was more than enough for me. 

Best driving advice is from a lorry driver in the film who allows his apprentice to get into the driver's seat and take the wheel during a stretch of the road:  "When you sit here you have to be submissive and pray to the gods."  

If you say you don't believe in gods -- by the time you're on that road an hour, you will. I think even monotheists pray to the gods on that road.


No comments: