.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, November 7

Unlikely that missile shot by Houthi forces at Riyadh airport was Iran-made

H/T Moon of Alabama (Defeated Elsewhere, Saudi Tyrant Declares War On Lebanon, 11/7):

From Henry Rome's Twitter page:
IHS Janes: Burkan-2 missile launched by Houthis is Scud derivative and is unlike variants made by Iran or DPRK
The Iranian government also disputes that they supplied the missile:

FARS
Iran Rejects Saudi Claim about Supply of Missiles to Yemen
November 6, 2017

TEHRAN (FNA)- The Iranian foreign ministry dismissed as "baseless" the Saudi-led coalition allegations that Tehran has supplied Yemen with the recent missile that was fired in the recent strike against an airport in Riyadh.

"The Saudis who have not been able to attain their ominous goals in the long war and military aggression put themselves in more bottlenecks using naïve and improper psychological operations by raising stupid, baseless and fully false allegations," Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said on Monday.

He described the Yemenis' reaction as an independent measure whose root causes should be found in the Saudis' aggressions and not another country's move or provocation.

Qassemi advised the Saudi coalition not to project the blame on others, immediately stop attacks against the innocent Yemeni people and pave the ground for Yemeni-Yemeni talks and establishment of peace in that country.

His remarks came after Saudi Arabia accused Iran of being responsible for the ballistic missile launched from Yemen that targeted Riyadh airport on Saturday, warning that it could be "considered an act of war."

The statement came after US President Donald Trump's similar allegations against Iran.

In response, Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami and Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari dismissed US officials' allegations about the supply of Iranian missiles to the Yemeni Ansarullah group.

"The US can't accuse Iran of any event that happens in the region, although this is not unlikely of the enemy to raise such accusations," General Hatami said on Sunday.

"The enemy uses any opportunity to level accusations against Iran and we firmly reject it," he added.

"Does anyone ask the US what they supply to Saudi Arabia?" General Hatami said.

Meantime, General Jafari dismissed the allegations that Iran has supplied Ansarullah with missiles that hit the Saudi airport as "baseless".

"We don’t have the means and possibility to send missiles to Yemen and the missiles belong to themselves and they have increased their range," he underlined.

General Jafari said that the allegations are of a series of "baseless remarks and allegations" that US President Donald Trump has leveled against Iran.

Late on Saturday, a Riyadh-based press outlet reported that Saudi Arabia's air force had intercepted a ballistic missile which had been fired from Yemen over the Saudi capital. Trump, responding to the attack, expressed his support for the Saudi-led coalition and put the blame on Iran.

Ansarullah movement claimed responsibility for firing a long-range ballistic missile that travelled more than 800km over the border with Saudi Arabia.

A spokesman for Ansarollah told Al Jazeera they launched a Burkan 2-H missile towards Riyadh late on Saturday, a Scud-type missile with a range of more than 800km.

“The capital cities of countries that continually shell us, targeting innocent civilians, will not be spared from our missiles,” the spokesman said.

Al Masirah, a TV network run by Ansarollah, also claimed responsibility for the attack on their social media account.

[END REPORT]
********

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?